- Cooking Time: none
- Servings: 12-13 dozen cookies
- Preparation Time: 120 minutes
BackstoryThese are actually known as THE Cookies in my family. My mother and I used to make 7 or 8 batches (at about 13 dozen each!) every year to give as gifts during the Christmas season. Some of my favorite Christmas memories are of standing in the kitchen, rolling these peanut butter balls and chatting with my mother. She passed away a year ago, I'd give anything to get to do it again!
Submitted by: "Sally Benson"
- 32 oz crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 lb margarine, melted
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 7 c. Rice Krispies
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- large Hershey bar
- 1 bar wax
- -Melt chocolate chips, Hershey bar and wax in double boiler.
- -While melting, mix melted margarine, Rice Krispies, peanut butter and powdered sugar in large vessel. Roll mix into 1-inch balls, well-packed.
- -Using tongs, dip peanut butter balls into melted chocolate mix. Allow to cool on paper, flattened out grocery bags work well.
- HINTS - The wax can be found in the canning section at the grocery store - yes, it's regular wax, perfectly edible & you won't notice it!! It makes the chocolate glossy and it will coat the cookie more evenly Cheap house-brand peanut butter works better than the more expensive name brands (more oil in the cheaper peanut butter). If the peanut butter mix is too dry, add a few more tablespoons of melted margarine. We've found that a turkey roasting pan works well for mixing the peanut butter center. Do not make the balls too large - this is a -very- rich cookie.
- Yield: appx 13 dozen