- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI found this recipe on a site I recently discovered, Southernfoodways.com, and was intrigued. It is described as a 'luxurious BLT, exotic and beautifully delicious,' and was inspired by actress Sophia Loren. It comes from Hich Elbetri, Chef-Owner of SANDWHICH, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Pancetta 4 thin slices
- Your favorite white sandwich bread
- Garlic mayonnaise*
- Homemade pesto
- Fresh arugula (the spicier the better)
- Ricotta salata cheese
- Juicy summer tomatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the pancetta in the oven at 400 degrees until cooked to your preference (we like it crispy).
- Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Butter the bread slices and grill them on only one side (you can use a cast-iron skillet to achieve a similar effect).
- Spread garlic mayonnaise on the grilled side of one slice of bread, and spread pesto on the grilled side of the other slice of bread.
- Pile arugula onto the mayo side, put lots of juicy slices of tomato on top, and season them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Be aware that your pancetta and your pesto might both be quite salty, so you might not need any salt.
- Make sure to cover all the surface area with tomatoes.
- Shave slices of ricotta salata with a cheese plane or a vegetable peeler.
- Cover the tomatoes nicely with shavings of the cheese.
- Then top the sandwich with the pesto side of the other piece of bread.
- Slice on the diagonal and serve.
- We serve ours with homemade cucumber pickles on the side and we always suggest our homemade Moroccan Iced Tea to chase it down.
- *We take Hellman's mayo and mix in pureed raw garlic, mustard seeds and cayenne pepper.
- The important thing is to have a really delicious spread not ordinary mayo.