- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 packages (14 oz.) caramel candies
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6-8 large Granny Smith apples
- 6-8 heavy wooden skewers or sticks
- melted chocolate and/or white chocolate
- chopped peanuts or other nuts
- toasted coconut
- candy sprinkles
- Oreo® cookie crumbs
- chopped candy bars
- Line a large cookie sheet with buttered waxed paper, set aside.
- Wash and completely dry apples. Insert a stick through stems. Sometimes it helps to use two sticks or even a fork, as these apples become quite heavy during the dipping process and a single stick may break. If you plan on using nuts coconut or any of the other optional coating ingredients get them ready by placing in a small bowl.
- Combine caramels and water in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until caramels melt. Cool slightly. You can also use your slow cooker to melt the caramel, (we were making a lot of apples). Dip each apple in caramel mixture, coating evenly, use a spoon to help you cover the top part of the apple. Allow caramel to set slightly and then dip in caramel again (that's right, two coatings of caramel -- I warned you these apples were decadent.
- After the second caramel dip, while the caramel is still liquid, roll the apple in the nuts or coconut or other coating ingredients (not shown). Coating the apple with one of these ingredients helps to keep the apple from sticking to the waxed paper, as well as give texture and flavor, but the apples are still great without this step.
- Next melt the chocolate either in a double boiler, a microwave, or in a glass bowl set inside a slow cooker which is filled part way with hot water as in. You'll notice I didn't say how much chocolate to melt. It depends on how decadent you want the apple to be. We used about 3 oz. of chocolate per apple, mixed white and dark.
- Dip the bottom of the caramel apple in chocolate. Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over the top, completely encasing the apple in chocolate. Using two different types of chocolate gives the apple a more decorative effect. Allow chocolate to set, before wrapping in cellophane.
NotesThese are monster treats, suitable for gourmet gift-giving.
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms
Spicy Chicken Ranch Hot Dip
Big Matt's babyback ribsSee More