- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryHere is a Thomas English muffin recipe clone:
- 1 pound All-purpose or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 cup Warm milk
- 2 ounces Butter -- melted
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and leave in a warm place.
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm (105 F) milk (Microwaved). Let froth, then mix in the butter.
- Stir all the liquid into the warm flour and beat well until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and proof in a warm place for 50 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn onto a well-floured board and knead, working a little more flour if necessary to make the dough easier to shape.
- Round up the dough, roll into a thick sausage shape and (using the sharpest knife you have) slice into 8 to 10 portions, each about 1 1/2 ~ 1 3/4 inch thick.
- Shape each one into a round with straight sides. Put onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cover (use greased plastic wrap) and put in a warm place to proof for 30-40 minutes or until springy to the touch. Leave room for expansion and be careful not to over-proof.
- Warm and grease the bakestone lightly.
- Lift the muffins carefully onto the bakestone and cook over very moderate heat for 8-10 minutes until pale gold underneath.
- Turn and cook the other side.
- Wrap in a cloth and keep warm if cooking in batches.
- To serve, insert a knife in the side, pull the top and bottom slightly apart, and insert slivers of butter.