THREE AMAZING "SPUR OF THE MOMENT" HOT APPETIZERS
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time: 60 Minutes
- Ingredients for Syracuse Salt Potatoes:
- 4 pounds small potatoes, such as baby Yukon gold (I used only the 1-pound bag of tiny potatoes)
- 2-1/4 cups kosher salt (I reduced this by a fourth)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (I reduced this by a fourth)
- Ingredients for Jim Beam "Smashed" Potatoes:
- 1 pound of tiny potatoes, boiled for 5 to 6 minutes, drained
- 1 diced red onion
- 1 diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Jim Beam
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoons Wesson oil
- 1 garlic cloves,minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ingredients for Ultimate Party Meatballs:
- 1 (14-ounce) can Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) jar of red currant jelly
- 1 (2-pound) bag frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs
Directions for Syracuse Salt Potatoes:
1. Put the potatoes, 8 cups of water and the salt in a large pan. Cover and bring to a biol over high heat, then reduce the heat t medium and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 30 minutes. (Mine only took 5 minutes because the potatoes were itty bitty).
2. Drain the potatoes in a colander and shake to remove excess water. Let the skins dry in the colander so that some of salt crystallizes.
3 Meanwhile, put the butter in a microwaveable-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Serve the potatoes hot with the butter for dipping.
Directions for Jim Beam "Smashed" Potatoes:
1. In a nonstick skillet, melt 3 tablespoon butter. Add the cooked potatoes and smash gently with a fork (you want to smash enough to break the skin, not have mashed potatoes).
2. Add the onions and peppers. Fry on medium heat until the onions and peppers are tender.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and add to hot skillet. Toss gently to coat the potatoes. Let the sauce cook down just a little.
Directions for Ultimate Party Meatballs:
1. Combine sauces and jelly in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Add
meatballs. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally.
2. Makes 30 appetizer servings