- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 20 to 30 Minutes
- 3 cups ziti or other tube pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, about 4 ounces
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Small Container of Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook ziti according to directions; drain.
- In a saucepan, brown sausage.
- Remove to paper towels to drain or strainer.
- Melt butter in skillet and sauté mushroom, green pepper and onion until just tender.
- Blend flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well blended and bubbly. Gradually add milk and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil.
- Continue to cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Blend in 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and pepper, stirring until cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir hot, cooked ziti and sausage into vegetable cheese sauce.
- Pour into greased 2 or 3 quart casserole.
- Spread small container of Cottage Cheese over the top.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
NotesJust something I put together for my daughters. I have one daughter that loves spaghetti . This one I could put together before Hockey Practice and could put in the oven on low covered in sprayed tin foil. Hot meal served with garlic bread. Happy Sleepy Kids. Side note I have also added Spaghetti sauce to this recipe as well. Excellent warmed the next day too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More