Why I Love This Recipe
Thukpa also called Thokpa is a popular dish in Kathmandu and Mountain region of Nepal. The dish is mostly eaten during the winters. Thukpa is noodles dipped in very hot soup, so it is good in cold places.
Ingredients You'll Need
1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock
300 g skinless chicken thigh fillet
300 g rice noodles
100 g carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
½ red capsicum, thinly sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
chopped coriander, to serve
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground timur powder (Szechwan pepper)
1 pinch asafoetida powder
1 long green chilli, deseeded, chopped
200 g tomatoes, chopped
1. To make the spice paste, combine all the ingredients, except the tomatoes, in a blender or food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and process until combined.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, for 6–7 minutes, until aromatic and the paste loses its raw smell.
3. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the chicken thigh and simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from the stock and roughly shred.
5. Meanwhile, bring 2 liters of water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add rice noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Drain again and set aside.
6. Add the carrot and capsicum to the stock and simmer for 2–3 minutes, until the vegetable are just tender. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
7. Divide the noodles between bowls and top with chicken. Ladle the stock and vegetables over the noodles and top with coriander.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Asian