- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a complete meal in one bowl. Just serve with milk and baby will be eating from all four food groups. It may taste a bit bland to you. That's because no salt is added. Remember, babies don't need added salt and have not developed an appetite for it yet. -- Eileen Behan, R.D.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Dab of butter
- 1/2 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 to 2 ounces ground turkey meat
- For 8-12 month-olds:
- Heat water and butter in microwave at 100 percent for 2 minutes in a 4-cup bowl. Add rice and carrots to hot water. Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent for 3 minutes. Stir and let rest 10 minutes, covered. Stir and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes more at 100 percent. (Rice should be almost tender. If it looks dry, add a tablespoon of water. ) Add ground turkey and distribute evenly throughout rice. Cover and cook at 100 percent for 2 minutes more. Let rest, covered, 5 minutes, until cool enough to eat and to allow for complete cooking of rice.
- Add peas or chopped green beans, fresh or frozen, at the same time turkey is added. Allow an additional 1 to 2 minutes resting time to cook vegetables before serving.
- Yield: 3 cups
- Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups