- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Dab of butter
- 1/2 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 to 2 ounces ground turkey meat
- For 8-12 month-olds:
- Heat water and butter in microwave at 100 percent for 2 minutes in a 4-cup bowl. Add rice and carrots to hot water. Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent for 3 minutes. Stir and let rest 10 minutes, covered. Stir and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes more at 100 percent. (Rice should be almost tender. If it looks dry, add a tablespoon of water. ) Add ground turkey and distribute evenly throughout rice. Cover and cook at 100 percent for 2 minutes more. Let rest, covered, 5 minutes, until cool enough to eat and to allow for complete cooking of rice.
- Add peas or chopped green beans, fresh or frozen, at the same time turkey is added. Allow an additional 1 to 2 minutes resting time to cook vegetables before serving.
- Yield: 3 cups
- Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups
NotesThis is a complete meal in one bowl. Just serve with milk and baby will be eating from all four food groups. It may taste a bit bland to you. That's because no salt is added. Remember, babies don't need added salt and have not developed an appetite for it yet. -- Eileen Behan, R.D.
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More