- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup (about 24) caramel candies, such as Kraft, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon rum, bourbon, or whisky (see Tip, below)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound high-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread pecans on large shallow baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate and let cool.
- Line baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- In small bowl, combine caramels, liquor, cream, and salt.
- Microwave uncovered at medium power for 2 minutes.
- Stir with fork.
- Microwave at medium power for 1 additional minute.
- Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In medium bowl set over saucepan of simmering water, melt half chocolate, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add remaining chocolate, and stir until smooth.
- Pour half melted chocolate into small bowl and reserve.
- Stir 1 cup nuts into remaining chocolate. Transfer mixture to baking sheet, spreading to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Spoon caramel over and pat on remaining pecans. Drizzle with reserved chocolate.
- Let cool at room temperature until set, about 2 hours.
- Do not chill.
- Chop finished bark into irregular 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Store airtight at room temperature up to one month.
- Tip: If omitting the alcohol, add an extra tablespoon of heavy cream.
NotesFrom Tracey Seaman, Bon Appétit and Epicurious
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More