- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 L white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 T packed brown sugar
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 T chopped golden raisins
- 8 (5.5"x3.5") slices rustic country bread, such as walnut, pecan, or walnut-raisin
- 2 (6 oz) wedges soft blue cheese
- 4 T (1/2 stick) butter, room temp
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over med heat. Add onions and saute until just beginning to color, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over and saute until onions are deep golden brown and very soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Mix in vinegar and raisins. Season to taste with salt and pepper (Can be prepared and refrigerated 3 days ahead.)
- Arrange 4 bread slices on work surface. Top with cheese, dividing equally. Top each with 1/4 of caramelized onions. Top wtih remaining bread slices to form 4 sandwiches. Spread 2 T butter over tops of sandwiches.
- Heat heavy large skillet over med heat. Add sandwiches, buttered side down. Spread remaining 2 T butter over tops of bread. Cover partially and cook about 3 minutes. Turn sandwiches over and cook 3 minutes more. Cut each sandwich into 6 wedges.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More