- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryYet another childhood recipe I had to start reproducing myself after moving so far away from my family. This is kind of like eating Almond Roca in a cookie form. I tend to make this with the Pecans and leave out the Almond extract.
- About 15 graham crackers
- 1/2 cup Chopped Almonds (or Pecans)
- 3/4 cup Butter plus more for the baking pan
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract (Omit if you are using pecans)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips or Milk, depending on your tastes. You can use chopped high quality chocolate as well. i.e Scharffen Berger 62%
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 13x9 baking pan or dish (pan works better)
- Mix Butter and Brown Sugar together in a heavy saucepan, bring to a boil then boil for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover the bottom of the baking pan with graham crackers.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts.
- Remove Brown sugar mixture from heat and add the extracts.
- Pour the syrup over the graham crackers and nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, once they begin to melt, spread evenly across the cookies with a spatula..
- Let them cool on a rack.
- Break cookie into smaller pieces and store in an airtight container, depending on the time of year it might be wise to store them in the fridge.