- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- About 15 graham crackers
- 1/2 cup Chopped Almonds (or Pecans)
- 3/4 cup Butter plus more for the baking pan
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract (Omit if you are using pecans)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips or Milk, depending on your tastes. You can use chopped high quality chocolate as well. i.e Scharffen Berger 62%
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 13x9 baking pan or dish (pan works better)
- Mix Butter and Brown Sugar together in a heavy saucepan, bring to a boil then boil for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover the bottom of the baking pan with graham crackers.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts.
- Remove Brown sugar mixture from heat and add the extracts.
- Pour the syrup over the graham crackers and nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, once they begin to melt, spread evenly across the cookies with a spatula..
- Let them cool on a rack.
- Break cookie into smaller pieces and store in an airtight container, depending on the time of year it might be wise to store them in the fridge.
NotesYet another childhood recipe I had to start reproducing myself after moving so far away from my family. This is kind of like eating Almond Roca in a cookie form. I tend to make this with the Pecans and leave out the Almond extract.