- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- Falafel Ingredients
- 1 block (14 oz.) super firm tofu, pressed and drained, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely minced
- ½ cup parsley leaves, packed
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup medium asparagus, sliced thinly on the bias
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Pickled Shallots Ingredients
- 1 cup shallots, sliced thinly and separated into rings
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 piece dried red chili, crushed
- 1 piece star anise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- Pinch salt
- Tofu Meyer Lemon Tahini Ingredients
- 1 block soft tofu
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
- ¼ cup Meyer lemon juice, strained
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup roasted sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Falafel Directions
- 1. Place the garlic, coriander seed, and cumin seed into the bowl of a food processor. Blend on high speed until the spices and garlic are finely ground.
- 2. Add in the tofu, edamame, minced onion, parsley, cilantro, soy sauce and flour. Season generously with salt and pepper. Process until the mixture forms a rough paste.
- 3. Heat several inches of oil in a deep wide pot to 375F. Roll the mixture into 2-inch balls. Fry the falafel in small batches until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes, draining on paper towels and lightly seasoning with salt.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, honey, and olive oil together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with the sliced asparagus, arugula. Season lightly with more salt and pepper.
- 5. To serve, plate 3-4 falafel on each plate. Spoon the tofu tahini over the falafel. Top with the arugula salad, pickled shallots, and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- Pickled Shallots Directions
- 1. In a small pot, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, water, spices, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then remove from the heat. Place the shallots in a deep bowl set over another bowl of ice. Pour the hot brine over the shallots and submerged the shallots, gently stirring with a spoon. Place a paper towel over the shallots to completely submerge them. Allow to cool to room temperature. Keep refrigerated in the brine until needed.
- Tofu Meyer Lemon Tahini Directions
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Season to taste and add water if necessary for consistency. Keep refrigerated until needed. Can be served warm or cold.
NotesCreated by Chef Lee Anne Wong for House Foods America. Tofu meets Middle Eastern street food in this healthy take on falafel.
Indian Inspired STIR-FRYs
Gluten-Free and Delicious
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More