Tofu Edamame Falafel with Tofu Meyer Lemon Tahini
1 block (14 oz.) super firm tofu, pressed and drained, cut into 1” cubes
2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1 cup yellow onion, finely minced
½ cup parsley leaves, packed
¼ cup cilantro leaves, packed
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted coriander seed
1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
¼ cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup medium asparagus, sliced thinly on the bias
4 cups baby arugula
Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Pickled Shallots Ingredients
1 cup shallots, sliced thinly and separated into rings
1 cup rice vinegar
½ cup sugar
1 cup water
1 piece dried red chili, crushed
1 piece star anise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
Tofu Meyer Lemon Tahini Ingredients
1 block soft tofu
½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
¼ cup Meyer lemon juice, strained
½ cup soy milk
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup roasted sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the garlic, coriander seed, and cumin seed into the bowl of a food processor. Blend on high speed until the spices and garlic are finely ground.
2. Add in the tofu, edamame, minced onion, parsley, cilantro, soy sauce and flour. Season generously with salt and pepper. Process until the mixture forms a rough paste.
3. Heat several inches of oil in a deep wide pot to 375F. Roll the mixture into 2-inch balls. Fry the falafel in small batches until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes, draining on paper towels and lightly seasoning with salt.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, honey, and olive oil together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with the sliced asparagus, arugula. Season lightly with more salt and pepper.
5. To serve, plate 3-4 falafel on each plate. Spoon the tofu tahini over the falafel. Top with the arugula salad, pickled shallots, and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Pickled Shallots Directions
1. In a small pot, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, water, spices, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then remove from the heat. Place the shallots in a deep bowl set over another bowl of ice. Pour the hot brine over the shallots and submerged the shallots, gently stirring with a spoon. Place a paper towel over the shallots to completely submerge them. Allow to cool to room temperature. Keep refrigerated in the brine until needed.
Tofu Meyer Lemon Tahini Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Season to taste and add water if necessary for consistency. Keep refrigerated until needed. Can be served warm or cold.
Pairs Well With
Created by Chef Lee Anne Wong for House Foods America. Tofu meets Middle Eastern street food in this healthy take on falafel.