- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 16 oz firm silken tofu -or- 8 ounces soy yogurt
- 16 oz strawberries (or other fruit) frozen
- 2 cups vanilla-flavored rice milk or soy milk
- 1 cup sugar, Splenda, maple syrup or brown rice syrup (or a combination)
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until thoroughly combined and smooth (about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes).
- You can also place in a stainless steel bowl and mix together by hand.
- Then, place in a metal bowl and put in the freezer, stirring occasionally (every 15 minutes).
- This is known as the semi-fredo method. Or make in your ice cream maker per its instructions.
- FLAVOR TIPS AND IDEAS:
- For Banana, blend in 2 ripe bananas
- For Ginger, add either 1/4 cup preserved ginger or 1 to 2 inches grated fresh ginger (for preserved ginger, add first to food processor so it gets ground up).
- Flavored liquers or syrups are another way to add punch and interest.
- Try Kahlua or creme de menthe and chocolate chips, or coffee liqueur, or instant coffee. Just remember, most alcoholic beverages will not freeze, so your ice cream may not get real firm. Also, if the liqueur is very sweet, reduce the amount of the sweetener/sugar/syrup that you used in the base recipe.
- Now, let your imagination run wild and try some daring combinations.
- I've tried fresh mint and cocoa (powder) and kiwi/key lime -- YUM!!
NotesI learned about using tofu for "alternative" foods when I attended culinary school. Take a breath and just read through this recipe. Try to keep an open mind and give it a try. This is very tasty, very creamy, VERY healthy ice cream substitute that you and your family will truly enjoy.
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
Best Mediterranean Baked Stuffed Chicken
Melt Your Heart Pizza
Paleo Flank Steak with Chimichurri SauceSee More