- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound reduced-fat firm or extra-firm tofu, frozen, thawed, and squeezed dry
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 10 ounces linguine pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 2 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- To make the sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and place the cubes in a shallow nonmetal container. Pour 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture over the tofu, toss to mix, and set aside for 10 minutes. Add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce, stir to dissolve the cornstarch, and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Drain off any sauce that the tofu has not soaked up, and spread the tofu cubes in a single layer on the sheet. Spray the tops of the cubes lightly with the cooking spray, and bake at 375ºF for 10 minutes. Turn the cubes with a spatula, and bake for 10 additional minutes, or until the cubes are nicely browned, crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside. Remove the tofu cubes from the oven, and set aside.
- While the tofu is cooking, cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place the skillet over medium-high heat, and add the garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper, and scallions. Stir-fry the vegetables for about 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender, covering the skillet periodically if it begins to dry out (the steam from the cooking vegetables will moisten the skillet). Add a few teaspoons of water or broth to the skillet only if necessary. Add the tofu, and toss to mix well. Add the pasta, and toss to mix well.
- Stir the reserved sauce, and add it to the skillet. Toss the mixture for a minute or 2, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Serve hot.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Nick's PicksSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More