- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 5 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) block firm tofu, grated or crumbled
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced, no salt added, tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 5 to 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- In a large pan, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil on medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and bell pepper, continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tofu and the remaining ingredients (not the buns) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Split and toast the buns. Divide the filling between the buns and enjoy!
NotesThis recipe is adapted from a recipe I found a few years ago in the "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics" cookbook when I was looking for a family-friendly way to cut back on meat. My kids love it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More