- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 5 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) block firm tofu, grated or crumbled
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced, no salt added, tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 5 to 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- In a large pan, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil on medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and bell pepper, continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tofu and the remaining ingredients (not the buns) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Split and toast the buns. Divide the filling between the buns and enjoy!
NotesThis recipe is adapted from a recipe I found a few years ago in the "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics" cookbook when I was looking for a family-friendly way to cut back on meat. My kids love it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More