- 1/2 lb of peeled shrimp (optional of course for vegetarians)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 lb mushrooms (I prefer oyster and straw mushrooms but you can pretty much use any kinds you like)
- 3 stalks lemon grass, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 thin slices fresh galangal
- 1 chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 kafir lime leaves, or grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
Pour the coconut milk into a pan or wok and add the mushrooms, lemon grass, galangal and chile. Bring gently to a boil and simmer over gentle heat for 5 minutes. Add the water, kafir lime leaves (or zest) and 1 tablespoon of the cilantro. Season with salt to taste and stir to combine the ingredients as they cook together gently for 10 minutes.
Before serving, scatter the remaining cilantro leaves and lime wedges on top.