- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
BackstoryThai food is amazing! Tom Kha Gai, the highly popular Thai chicken soup in a coconut-infused broth, is no exception. I wanted to create a version that is simultaneously bursting with flavor, deliciously aromatic, and visually beautiful. Goal achieved!
- 1 /2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (can find in Asian markets)
- 3 cups strong chicken stock
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large lemongrass stalk, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 thin slices fresh galangal or ginger
- 2-3 Thai chilies, seeded cut in thin slices (use less if you prefer it less spicy)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, preferably Thai basil if you have it, thinly sliced
- Cilantro or basil leaves for garnishing
- Warm the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the curry paste, stirring until fragrant. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, lemongrass, ginger, chilies, lime juice, and fish sauce and bring it to a simmer, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken strips and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add salt to taste if needed. Remove the lemongrass and ginger and serve immediately, garnished with fresh basil leaves or cilantro.
L. Kayell presents: Cook with the WOW Characters of iN Education, Inc.
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Berks Catholic PTO Fall 2015 Recipe AuctionSee More
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
GRILLED MISO-CITRUS SCALLOP LOLLIPOPS
Chocolate Panna CottaSee More