- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chopped tomatillos
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1.Heat oil over high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute chicken in oil until both sides are browned, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, and set aside.
- 2.Add onions and garlic to saucepan, and saute until golden. Stir in the tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 3.Puree vegetables in batches in a blender or food processor. Return to pot, and reheat. At this point taste the soup; if not piquant enough, add cayenne pepper or pepper sauce.
- 4.Slice the chicken into thin slices, and then shred. Stir into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5.When ready to serve, stir in the minced cilantro and ladle into bowls. Put a dollop of sour cream on top of each portion, and let it melt a bit. Top each dollop with a single cilantro leaf, and serve immediately.
NotesHas a subtle flavor.Immersion blender is helpful
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More