- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; add basil. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; stir in broth and heat through.
NotesI would almost call this carrot soup...came out very orange and tasting like the sweet carrots...very good and a great way to get your veggies in. Next time I may add some milk or cream to it and blend it more, it came out a bit veggie chunk floating in broth. Up the calories with cream but would be oh so good!
From Light and Tasty
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 141 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 673 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Adventures in Cooking
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More