- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 quarts tomatoes (12 cups, after cutting)
- 2 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 10 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 6 tablespoons broken cinnamon sticks
- REMOVE peel from tomatoes and cut in small pieces.
- Slice oranges and lemons very thin and quarter the slices.
- Pour off juice from the tomatoes.
- Add sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add oranges, lemons, and spices which have been tied loosely in cheesecloth bag.
- Place mixture over high heat and boil rapidly, stirring often.
- Cook until clear and thick (about 50 minutes). Pour into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
- Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
- Process in Boiling Water Bath 10 minutes.
- Makes 8 eight ounce jars
NotesNothing better than home grown "maters" This is a nice way to show off your tomatoes and makes a nice Holiday food gift as well! This was always good on Granny's fresh out of the ovem bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More