TOMATO PAPRIKAS WITH CEVAPCICI (TOMATO STEW WITH YUGOSLAVIAN SAUSAGE)
Tomato Paprikas with Cevapcici (Tomato Stew with Yugoslavian Sausage)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground veal (or beef)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated (or minced very fine in food processor)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 3 tbsp hot Hungarian paprika, or 3 tbsp sweet paprika and a little cayenne
- 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Olive oil for basting
Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, thoroughly. Cover and place in refrigerator for a minimum of two hours, overnight is best. Remove from refrigerator, mix thoroughly again and roll the mixture into little "fingers" about 1 inch by 3 inches(I like to take some Kajmak cheese, which is a Water Buffalo milk cream cheese and enclose it in the sausages...a good blue cheese also works well with the lamb and veal in the meat mixture). Rub lightly with olive oil and grill or broil until done. They are best on the barbecue. Once done set aside.
I decided to add Cevapcici one time and it has become my favourite way of making it now.