- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
BackstoryI made these to serve with Sherried Tomato Soup and oh my goodness what a delicious meal!
- 8 slices thick-cut sourdough bread
- 1 ball (16 ounces) fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 1 (7 ounce) package of basil pesto
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat your panini pan and press according to the manufacturer's instructions (alternately, two pre-heated skillets may be used, with one skillet serving as a press/weight).
- Spread the pesto on each slice of bread.
- Top four pieces of bread with a layer of tomato.
- Lightly season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add a layer of mozzarella and then place another piece of bread on top to complete the sandwich.
- Drizzle olive oil on the panini pan or skillet.
- Place sandwiches in the pan and cover with the panini press or second skillet.
- Turn sandwiches over after 4 to 5 minutes and replace weight. The sandwiches are ready when golden brown and the mozzarella has melted around the edges.