- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- 20oz frozen chopped spinach
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1 t oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated soy/almond cheese (swiss or mozzarella equivalent works best)
- 3 t energ egg replacer
- 4 T water
- 1 sliced tomato
- Cayenne powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Thaw spinach (I use the microwave)
- Drain spinach in strainer
- Heat oil in skillet
- Saute garlic, onions and mushrooms until onions are clear
- Add cooked garlic, onlion, mushroom mixture to spinach and drain well (if you don't drain well you'll end up with a soggy pie)
- Mix energ and water and beat well
- Add spices, energ/water, and cheese to veggie mixture and mix well.
- For best results with frozen pie crust I precook it for a few minutes by itself (make sure you poke it with a fork first so it doesn't balloon)
- Put the veggie mixture into pie crust and shape into a nice pie shape
- Add sliced tomatoes to top.
- I sprinkle some cayenne powder on top to add some heat (optional)
NotesThis is one of my favorite recipes from my mom; I didn't mind eating vegetarian when we could have this.
I've modified it to make it vegan in keeping with a recent resolution to eat completely vegan as frequently as possible; specifically replacing eggs with energ egg replacer and finding a good soy "mozzarella cheese".
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More