- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- 20oz frozen chopped spinach
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1 t oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated soy/almond cheese (swiss or mozzarella equivalent works best)
- 3 t energ egg replacer
- 4 T water
- 1 sliced tomato
- Cayenne powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Thaw spinach (I use the microwave)
- Drain spinach in strainer
- Heat oil in skillet
- Saute garlic, onions and mushrooms until onions are clear
- Add cooked garlic, onlion, mushroom mixture to spinach and drain well (if you don't drain well you'll end up with a soggy pie)
- Mix energ and water and beat well
- Add spices, energ/water, and cheese to veggie mixture and mix well.
- For best results with frozen pie crust I precook it for a few minutes by itself (make sure you poke it with a fork first so it doesn't balloon)
- Put the veggie mixture into pie crust and shape into a nice pie shape
- Add sliced tomatoes to top.
- I sprinkle some cayenne powder on top to add some heat (optional)
NotesThis is one of my favorite recipes from my mom; I didn't mind eating vegetarian when we could have this.
I've modified it to make it vegan in keeping with a recent resolution to eat completely vegan as frequently as possible; specifically replacing eggs with energ egg replacer and finding a good soy "mozzarella cheese".