- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 8 oz high-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (clear preferable)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup broken (not crushed) chocolate cookie wafers (like Mr. Christies)
- ½ cup shortening
- 4 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup crushed chocolate cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Melt the white chocolate, being careful not to scorch it. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Separately, cream the shortening and white sugar.
- Beat in the melted white chocolate, the applesauce and the vanilla.
- Mix the cream and buttermilk together.
- In three additions, with electric beaters, alternately beat the flour mixture and the milk mixture into the creamed mixture. Beat only until just smooth.
- Fold in cookie chunks by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until tests done. Allow to cool thoroughly.
- Beat shortening in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 3 cups sugar until well blended and smooth.
- Beat in cream, then slowly add remaining sugar until blended.
- Beat in cookie crumbs.
- Invert one cake layer on serving platter.
- Top with a layer of the frosting, then place the second cake layer (right side up) on top.
- Use remaining frosting for top and sides of the cake.
- For best results refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
NotesThis would be my fiancé Andrew (AKA eggchef)’s dream cake. It may wind up appearing on his birthday menu this coming year (or maybe New Years, our anniversary, my birthday, lol)
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 29.6 g
Cholesterol: 31.5 mg
Sodium: 75.0 mg
Total Carbs: 102.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 5.4 g
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
The One Dollar Cookbook
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More