- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAdmittedly NOT my recipe but soooo yummy
Mexican Tortas De Milanesa
It is a mexican steak sandwich which is nothing like you've had before. don't let the long recipe scare you off, it's really easy it just takes a lot of words to explain each step. this is an authentic meal my husband grew up on in mexico. you won't find anything like it at taco bell i promise.
Not the one? See other Mexican Tortas De Milanesa Recipes
* < 60 mins Sandwiches
* Central Mexico Sandwiches
* Beef Steaks Sandwiches
* Picnic Sandwiches
- 4-8 thin sliced sandwich steaks (ESPECIALLY GOOD WITH VERY THIN SLICED RIBEYE, BUT I USUALLY USE WHAT THE SUPERMARKET CALLS "ROULA)
- 1-2 cup breadcrumbs (FOR DREDGING STEAKS)
- 2-3 eggs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 good quality sub hotdog buns or 2 loaves French bread
- sour cream (APP 3/4 CUP)
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausages (GROUND OR WITH SKINS REMOVED)
- 8 ounces queso fresco (OR FETA CHEESE)
- shredded lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- 2 avocados (PEELED AND SLICED THINLY)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- Dredge steaks in egg and breadcrumbs, set aside.
- heat about 1/4 inch oil in a large non-stick skillet to medium heat.
- test temp of oil by sprinkling some breadcrumbs into oil.
- if they do nothing the oil is too cold, if they burn the oil is too hot, if they sizzle but don't burn it's ready.
- fry steaks a few at a time about 3 minutes or so on each side.(just until they are golden brown)
- put steaks in a warm oven to keep warm while you continue with the next steps.
- in a small skillet brown chorizo until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes; drain on paper towel and set aside.
- to assemble sandwiches: you might want to heat bread in a warm oven, but every time i do this step the bread is still cold by the time i am done assembling so i have started to skip this step.
- if using french bread, half or other wise cut loaf to the size you want for your sandwiches.
- then split the bread (or sub buns) down the center and scoop out excess bread.
- to each sandwich you will do the following: to the top half spread liberally with sour cream; sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- set aside.
- to the bottom half spread with refried beans.
- (i just spread it straight from the can with a butter knife) sprinkle with 1/4 of the chorizo.
- put 1-2 steaks (depending on the size of your steaks) on top of chorizo in one layer.
- top with shredded lettuce.
- then add the sliced tomato.
- followed by the avocado slices.
- then the onions.
- add the sandwich top and open really wide!