- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion , minced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans , rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes , drained
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 5 cups tortilla chips (3 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and bring to simmer.
- Stir beans, tomatoes, and chipotle into sauce and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, 3 tablespoons cilantro, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread 1 cup tortilla chips over bottom of 8-inch baking dish and top with 1 cup chicken mixture. Spread 2 more cups tortilla chips into dish and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Spread remaining chicken mixture into dish and top with remaining tortilla chips. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over top.
- Bake until cheese is golden brown and casserole is bubbling, abut 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro before serving.
- (from Cook’s Illustrated)