TOSSED SALAD WITH OIL AND VINEGAR DRESSING
- Servings: 4-6
- 1 bag (5 3/4-oz. to 8-oz.) salad greens of your choice or a bowlful of Romaine lettuce, torn up
- 2 small or 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Kosher salt (coarse salt)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, to taste
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Thoroughly wash your salad greens and spin dry in a salad spinner, or pat dry with paper towels. Place greens in a large salad bowl to accommodate the greens for tossing.
Crush the garlic over the salad using a garlic press. Sprinkle coarse salt over the top of the salad (kind of gauge as if you were salting your food on the top layer only). Sprinkle pepper over salad (if using a peppermill, about 6-7 turns).
Sprinkle the salad with red wine vinegar, followed by lightly pouring extra-virgin olive oil over the greens. I've given the approximate measures, so adjust to your taste.
Toss to combine dressing with greens. Add, if you like, other veggies like tomatoes, green onions, Vidalia onion, carrots, radishes, etc.
*It seems if you mix the oil, vinegar and seasonings ahead of time, it just doesn't taste the same. Make sure your greens are dry, as the water will affect and dilute the dressing!