- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 125g dark, dark, dark chocolate (the darkest you can get!!)
- 150g plain flour
- 30g cocoa, sieved
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125g soft butter
- 75g light brown sugar
- 50g white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, cold from the fridge
- 350g dark chocolate chips (or sometimes i just chop up a chocolate bar or two!!)
- Preheat oven to 170c (340f) and melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a heat proof dish over a pan of simmering water.
- Put the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugars together, add the melted chocolate and mix together.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 12 equal sized mounds - I use an ice cream scoop for this - and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them.
- Cook for 18 mins, testing with a cake tester to make sure it ocomes out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter.
- Leave to cool (if you can resist!!) on a wire rack.
NotesThese cookies are fabulous, and freeze really well, either unbaked or baked.
I quite often make up a whole batch and form all 12 cookies, then freeze half of them unbaked. I then freeze 3 of the baked cookies when the've cooled from the oven.
I don't feel like I have to eat all of them then!!