- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 of a sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
- olive oil
- 2 Trader Joe's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausages, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced into small pieces
- salt, pepper, nutmeg, dried thyme
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth - divided
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup Trader Joe's Whole Wheat couscous
- In a dry pan over medium heat, begin toasting hazelnuts.
- It will just take a few minutes; remove from heat when they begin to darken.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, begin sauteing onions in a little bit of olive oil.
- Add chicken sausage and 1/3 cup chicken broth after a few minutes. (the sausage comes fully cooked, but I like to sautee it anyway - just don't overcook!)
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and thyme.
- Cook until most of the broth is absorbed, and the onion is very soft.
- Remove onion and sausage from pan and set aside.
- Place cranberries and remaining chicken broth in pan.
- Simmer for a few minutes so that cranberries soften, then bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous, cover, and turn off heat.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes or until couscous is cooked, then fluff with a fork and stir in sausage, onions, and hazelnuts.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
NotesI bought some Sweet Apple Chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I came up with this and it was great! Measurements are approximate.
A great side dish for this is any kind of winter squash - we had buttercup.