- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 of a sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
- olive oil
- 2 Trader Joe's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausages, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced into small pieces
- salt, pepper, nutmeg, dried thyme
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth - divided
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup Trader Joe's Whole Wheat couscous
- In a dry pan over medium heat, begin toasting hazelnuts.
- It will just take a few minutes; remove from heat when they begin to darken.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, begin sauteing onions in a little bit of olive oil.
- Add chicken sausage and 1/3 cup chicken broth after a few minutes. (the sausage comes fully cooked, but I like to sautee it anyway - just don't overcook!)
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and thyme.
- Cook until most of the broth is absorbed, and the onion is very soft.
- Remove onion and sausage from pan and set aside.
- Place cranberries and remaining chicken broth in pan.
- Simmer for a few minutes so that cranberries soften, then bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous, cover, and turn off heat.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes or until couscous is cooked, then fluff with a fork and stir in sausage, onions, and hazelnuts.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
NotesI bought some Sweet Apple Chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I came up with this and it was great! Measurements are approximate.
A great side dish for this is any kind of winter squash - we had buttercup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Camp Nubar Baking Class
The Social CookbookSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More