- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 4lb packaged (pre-brined) corned beef
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 1.5lb red potatoes, washed and quartered, skin on
- 1 large head of "regular" cabbage (not Napa cabbage)
- 1-2 bottles of a darker beer (lager or stout, Guinness works best)
- 1tbsp Whole peppercorns
- 6 large cloves garlic, smashed, but not chopped
- Put the corned beef in a large pot, fat side UP.
- Cover with half water and half beer (a lager or best case a stout, like Guinness).
- Make sure the entire beef is covered.
- Add the seasoning packet, whole peppercorns, onion and garlic.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Quarter 1.5lb red potatoes (cleaned but not peeled) and add to the pot at the 2 hour mark. Season the potatoes with Kosher salt before adding.
- Roughly chop into large pieces one large cabbage and add into the pot about 20 minutes after you add the potatoes.
- Simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Corned beef should have at least 160F internal temp, hotter is fine (mine maxed out at 200 and it was still moist, juicy and delicious).
- Remove the corned beef and slice into about 1" thick slices. Then chop each slice into 5 or 6 "chunks".
- Put the corned beef at the bottom of a bowl, top with potato and cabbage and spoon some of the broth on top.
- Season with extra salt and pepper, if you like.
- Prep time: 20min
- Cook time: 2.5-3 hours
- Serves: 6-8 people (depending on how much you want to save for corned beef hash)
NotesAs far as I know, there are no restaurants in my town that serve a special St. Patrick's Day menu, so I decided to prepare my own take on the Irish staple. This recipe also makes enough beef so you have enough left over for making homemade corned beef hash the next day. I only wish I had thought to take a picture of the final product.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More