TRADITIONAL SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Traditional Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 1 hr., 10 mins.
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Preheat oven to 400°.
Grease each sweet potato with a bit of crisco or non-stick cooking spray and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for one hour.
Peel potatoes, and place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla). Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.