TRAIL MIX COOKIES
Trail Mix Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Â½ cups all-purpose flour (or 3/4 cup AP flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 2 Â½ cups oatmeal
- 2 to 4 cups of add-ins such as:
- dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, apricots, pineapple, papaya - diced into smallish pieces where appropriate)
- nuts (macadamia nuts, sliced or slivered almonds, chopped cashews, pecans, peanuts, walnuts)
- sunflower seeds, coconut, toffee bits
- chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips
Using the creaming method, cream together sugar and butter until aerated, add eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Beat well. Mix flour and cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt together, gradually add to the butter mixture. I recommend a good heavy stand mixer. Add in the oatmeal and mix well. Then fold in whichever add-ins you like, mix until just combined. I am on the 4 cups (or even more) side of the add-ins. I like my cookies stuffed with stuff. Do as you please! You may need to flatten the cookies a bit before baking if you have lots of stuff in them.
Place tablespoons of dough on a cookie sheet lined with a silicon baking liner or parchment paper. Bake 10-12 minutes or until done.
Dough holds well in the fridge, just let come to room temperature before baking. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.