- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryRecipe from Thérèse Chevalley, an indigène of the Haute Vallais.
The number of slices of bread and cheese to use depends on people’s appetites!
Best combination is glutinous French bread and Gruyere cheese.
You can add an egg on top, and still better a slice of ham between the bread and cheese plus the egg (poached or fried) on top of everything.
- French bread
- Gruyere (or other) cheese, sliced fairly thick
- Oil, grease, or butter for frying
- 1/4 C white wine (or milk for children)
- Optional: Egg, poached or fried
- Optional: Slices of ham
- Put a small amount of oil, grease, or butter in a frying pan.
- Lightly grill slices of bread.
- Put slices of cheese on the bread.
- Cover for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 white wine or milk.
- Cover so that the steam will completely melt the cheese.
- Bon appétit!