- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 boxes cake mix,and ingredients to make them (I used chocolate)
- 2-3 cans ready made chocolate frosting
- Assorted candy for decorating: m&ms, fruit by the foot, ring pops, chocolate coins etc.
- Begin by baking the cakes according to directions using 2 9x13 pans, I used one 9x13 and one that was an odd shape, just sort of smaller but it worked out fine.
- Cool cakes completely and cover with foil and freeze for at least two hours or over night.
- At this point I cut a good chunk of the 9x13 off to make it a more chest size cake...not too long.
- Then make a shallow box in the top of that base by scoring it then gently scraping it out, frost the entire base keeping the frosting layer very thick.
- Next you take the second cake and cut it to form a lid that is slightly smaller than the bottom part.
- from the left overs of either cake you need a rectangle to cut into two long triangles to form wedges that will go underneath the top cake/lid, to keep it propped open.
- The small/narrow end of the triangle will go towards the back of the base cake, frost it onto the base.
- It may be necessary to put wooden skewers or straws through the thick part of the wedge so that it is more sturdy.
- Frost the lid of your chest and gently lay it onto the base with the wedges.
- Now comes the fun part.
- First, now that the whole thing is frosted take a butter knife or spreader and form the wooden planks by making even strokes.
- Then using a fork make the wood grain...varying it slightly from one row to the next.
- Use the fruit by the foot to form leather straps across the top and front and to form handles.
- I used m&ms for nails along the sides of the leather and then stuffed the inside with candy and crumbled left over cake around the edges lik dirt and put all types of candy around it.
NotesMy little brother requested that I make a pirate cake for his birthday this year, so after looking online for a few minutes I got my ideas and set out to make his wish come true!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More