- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 1 pound)
- 5 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups creamed corn
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup sliced jalapeï¿½o peppers
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large mixing bowl, combine baking powder and salt, and add vegetable oil. Add remaining ingredients in order given. Mix thoroughly, but do not overmix or cornbread will be tough.
- Pour mixture into greased 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake approximately 1 hour, but start checking at 45 minutes. Bread is done when knife blade inserted in center comes out clean.
- To prepare ahead, mix all ingredients except baking powder. Cover and refrigerate. Next day, add baking powder and bake. Serves 10.
- Nina's notes- Fall is finally here. Time to break out the biggest pot I have and get ready to make loads of beans, soups, stews and gumbos. Being from Texas, we're huge cornbread fans, especially if it is all fancied up Mexican style. This recipe is one of my faves and makes a great side. Super cheesy and just the right amount of zing. Sometimes I make it like this, and sometimes I go whole hog and make a meal out of it and add browned hamburger meat, chili spice, whole kernel corn, monterey jack and whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment. Also good with browned ground sausage. Made like this, beans are the side! Be careful and make sure you don't undercook this. It's real easy to. When in doubt, it's better to cook it longer, because the crustier the better! Who likes soggy cornbread? Not me!
This recipe was featured in the August 1992 issue of Texas Monthly. It is from Dan Tidwell at Treebeards in Houston.
Heaven alone; even better with Treebeards' cheesy Cajun Gumbo.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More