- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 stick, unsalted butter (plus more for preparing the baking dish)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 c whole milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- RUM FRUIT TOPPING:
- 1/2 c plus 4 TBSP dark rum
- 1/2 c sugar
- 4 TBSP water
- 4 c sliced or diced fresh fruit (I like mangoes, strawberries, kiwi and pineapple)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling occasionally, until the butter browns, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, whisk the egg whites, baking soda, and salt on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the yolks and whisk until combined.
- Reduce speed to medium.
- Add the sugar in a slow, steady stream and mix until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, quickly and gently fold in the butter mixture into the egg mixture.
- Combine flour and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour mix over the egg mix.
- Gently fold to combine.
- Working quickly, sift the remaining flour mix over egg mix in 2 more additions. Gently fold to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together all 3 milks in a bowl.
- Pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Transfer cake in dish to a rack to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- RUM TOPPING:
- Bring the rum, sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Cook until sugar dissolves, 1-2 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Toss the syrup with the fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight with the cake.
- Spoon on to individual portions of cake when ready to serve.
NotesOne of my most favorite cakes, especially for Cinco de Mayo!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Brownies: Baking Outside the BoxSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More