- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 stick, unsalted butter (plus more for preparing the baking dish)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 c whole milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- RUM FRUIT TOPPING:
- 1/2 c plus 4 TBSP dark rum
- 1/2 c sugar
- 4 TBSP water
- 4 c sliced or diced fresh fruit (I like mangoes, strawberries, kiwi and pineapple)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling occasionally, until the butter browns, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, whisk the egg whites, baking soda, and salt on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the yolks and whisk until combined.
- Reduce speed to medium.
- Add the sugar in a slow, steady stream and mix until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, quickly and gently fold in the butter mixture into the egg mixture.
- Combine flour and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour mix over the egg mix.
- Gently fold to combine.
- Working quickly, sift the remaining flour mix over egg mix in 2 more additions. Gently fold to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together all 3 milks in a bowl.
- Pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Transfer cake in dish to a rack to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- RUM TOPPING:
- Bring the rum, sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Cook until sugar dissolves, 1-2 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Toss the syrup with the fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight with the cake.
- Spoon on to individual portions of cake when ready to serve.
NotesOne of my most favorite cakes, especially for Cinco de Mayo!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Blue Collar Beer Cheese Dip
Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter FrostingSee More