- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- Carrot Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons egg replacer
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 pound carrots, finely grated (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 12 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds soy cream cheese, cold
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease three (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
- For the cake, put flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and egg replacer into a mixing bowl and whisk together to blend. Put sugar in a separate large mixing bowl and whisk in safflower oil, almond milk and applesauce. When fully combined, add almond milk mixture to flour mixture and mix just until smooth. Stir in carrots, walnuts and raisins, then divide batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the center springs back gently when pressed. Remove from oven and transfer to racks to let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Beat margarine in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add cream cheese in pieces and mix until thoroughly blended. Slowly add sugar and vanilla and mix until blended. Increase mixer speed slightly and continue mixing for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- Place a cake layer, bottom side up, on a cake plate or pedestal. Spoon one-quarter of the frosting onto the top and spread it evenly. Place a second cake layer, bottom side down, on top of the first, and spread with an equal amount of frosting. Place the final cake layer, bottom side down, on top of the others and frost the top and sides with remaining frosting. Cover and chill until ready to serve or set aside to let set for 30 minutes, then cut into slices and serve.
NotesThis recipe relies on unsweetened applesauce and almond milk to provide the telltale moist texture of classic carrot cake.
Per serving (1/16 cake/201g-wt.): 590 calories (290 from fat), 32g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 9g protein, 72g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 47g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More