TRIPLE THREAT BANANA CREAM MUFFIN
- Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- Cream Filling:
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons from a beaten egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats (I used old fashioned Quaker oatmeal)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg (plus the rest of the egg from the filling)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz semi sweet chocolate chunks
- 3 oz chopped peanuts
- 3 oz butterscotch chips
- Raw sugar (or regular sugar if that's all you have. Or no sugar if you don't want to)
- Preheat your oven to 400' F. Spray 12 nonstick muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl mash up your banana and mix in the egg (don't forget the left over egg from the filling), buttermilk, melted butter and the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mess mixture and gently stir, but not too much. Dense muffins are no fun.
- Fold in the chocolate, peanuts and butterscotch.
- Fill each muffin tin halfway (there will be some batter left). Scoop a tablespoon'ish amount of filling in each cup and top with a tablespoon'ish amount of the remain batter.
- Sprinkle the raw sugar over each muffin (for that nice sweet crispy texture)
- Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes
NotesThis started out as a simple Banana Scotchie Muffin recipe that was shared with me over on FaceBook. The recipe originally came from the Great American Cookbook.
Do you know what happens when you make muffins at night, after dinner?
They become something for dessert rather than breakfast. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
Chocolate....peanuts....butterscotch morsels....and the same cream filling that I used in the Strawberries and Cream Muffins, were all added. I dunno....I couldn't stop myself. I kept seeing stuff in the cupboard that I wanted to add. I came to my senses when I saw two different kinds of chocolate and the add-ins out weighed the flour and oats.
So I put the white chocolate chips away.