TRIPLE "BYPASS" CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 9 oz. crushed chocolate wafer cookies or 1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers
- 3 TB. sugar
- 2 oz. chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 5 Tb. melted unsalted butter
- 3 8 oz. packages cream cheese @ room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 4 oz. milk chocolate
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 eggs @ room temp
- Finely process cookies or crackers with chocolate and sugar in food processor.
- Add butter and blend just until moist clumps form.
- Press mixture onto bottom and apx. 1 1/2" up sides of a 9" springform fan.
- Bake at 325 for about 8 minutes or til set.
- Cool on rack while making filling.
- Melt chocolates together in double-boiler; allow to cool
- Beat cream cheese on low speed til smooth, no more than 30 seconds. Scrape beater & bowl.
- Add sugar in a stream, again mixing for no more than 30 seconds.
- Scrape beater & bowl.
- Add melted, cooled chocolate and mix until just absorbed; beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating only until each is absorbed.
- Stop & scrape after each addition.
- Wrap the springform pan in aluminum foil, at least 2" up sides.
- Pour filling into pan over the crust.
- Place cheesecake pan on roasting pan or deep cookie sheet filled with 1/2" of warm water to make a bain marie.
- Depending on your oven, bake at 325-350 for 50-60 minutes until firm but still 'jiggly' in the center - cake will continue to bake & set-up as it cools out of the oven.
- When done baking, remove pan from hot water and transfer to cooling rack.
- Very gently run a sharp knife tip between the cheesecake & pan (about 1/4" deep) to loosen top edge all around.
- This will help prevent the cheesecake from cracking as it cools.
- Remove foil and cool cake completely.
- Wrap in plastic and chill overnight before removing cheesecake from pan.
- Bring cheesecake to room temp (apx. 1 hour) prior to serving.
NotesA good one to make your sweetie swoon this Valentine's Day. Use the best quality chocolate you can get your hands on - it really makes a huge difference in the end product. Specatularly festive served with fresh raspberries & some pretty white chocolate curls.
**The keys to a killer-creamy, non-cracked cheesecake are: NOT overbeating, NOT overbaking, NOT baking at too high a temperature, DO bake in a bain marie, and DO run knife edge between cake & pan before leaving it to cool on a rack.