- Cooking Time: 15 minutes, 1 hour to co
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryOn October 9th, 2012, Tropical Foods had its Flavors of the Fall Recipe Contest with the culinary students at the Charlotte Campus of Johnson & Wales University. This recipe, Tropical Food’s Trail Mix Brittle, was created by Ashley Cummings.
- 2 cups Tropical Food’s Diet Delight®
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. apple pie spice
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- Grease baking sheet with butter and set aside for later use.
- Coat the interior of a heavy 3 quart saucepan with butter.
- Add sugars, corn syrup, maple syrup, salt and water to the coated saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once a rapid boil is achieved, add butter. Continue boiling until a temperature of 310 degrees is indicated on a candy thermometer. (Topping the mixture with a lid helps during this process to increase the heat within the saucepan without burning the mixture.)
- Once at 310 degrees, add Diet Delight®, vanilla, apple pie spice, and baking soda. Quickly stir in ingredients and pour onto the buttered baking sheet while the mixture is foamy; spread as thin as possible.
- Allow the mixture to set and cool completely, approximately one hour.
- Once cool, break brittle into pieces and serve.