- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pod cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon water, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 mango - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 pineapple rings, chopped
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 pork chops
- With a mortar and pestle, mash together the garlic, chili powder, cayenne, and cardamom seeds. Mix in enough water to form a paste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in spice paste, and cook until it begins to bubble, about 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar; cook without boiling for 2 minutes. Stir in sugar until it dissolves. Mix in mango, salt, cilantro, lemon juice, and jalapeno; simmer 20 minutes. Stir in applesauce and pineapple; simmer 10 minutes more. Season with white pepper. Place in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare marinade, mix 2/3 cup of the salsa with soy sauce and 1/3 cup vinegar. Place pork chops in a large resealable plastic bag, and pour marinade over chops. Seal tightly, and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Drain marinade from bag, and heat in a saucepan until boiling.
- Lightly oil grill grate. Place pork chops on the hot grill. Cook 10 minutes, or to desired doneness, turning once and basting occasionally with the boiled marinade.
- Warm remaining salsa over medium-low heat. Serve pork chops topped with the salsa.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More