TROPICAL LIME ICE CREAM PIE
Tropical Lime Ice Cream Pie
- Cooking Time: 3-6 hrs. to freeze
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- Lime Ice Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup lime juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Gingersnap crust:
- 1 1/4 cups crushed Archway Gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 c. milk
- 1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip
- 1 pkg. instant coconut pudding
- ¼ cup coarsely crushed Archway Gingersnap cookies
Lime Ice Cream:
1. Crack eggs and put yolks into a bowl.
2. Put 1 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream into a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer.
3. Slowly add whipping cream to the egg yolks (start w/ a tablespoon at a time so as not to scramble your eggs!). Whisk together until smooth.
4. Pour mixture back into saucepan over medium low heat and whisk CONSTANTLY until mixture thickens. Pour thickened mixture into a clean glass bowl and allow to cool a bit.
5. Add, 1 at a time, the condensed milk, remainder of heavy cream (1/2 cup), lime juice and zest – combining thoroughly after each addition.
6. Move entire mixture to the freezer until thoroughly chilled (about 2 hours). Add to ice cream maker and follow mfg. directions.
*non-ice cream maker method*
Put bowl into freezer and every ½ hour, remove and mix well with either an electric beater or a heavy spoon. Return to freezer and repeat until ice cream has formed into desired consistency. (about 3 ½ hrs.)
1. In a small bowl, combine the crumbs and butter and blend well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F for 7 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before filling.
Coconut Cream Topping:
Combine instant pudding with cold milk and mix till smooth. Fold in whipped cream until combined.
1. Let ice cream sit out of the freezer until soft enough to work with. Spoon softened ice cream into gingersnap crust and smooth out to sides, top with coconut cream topping.
2. Garnish with coarsely crushed Archway Gingersnaps.
3. Return to freezer till firm.
Remove pie about 15 minutes before serving