- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryRecipe from the Vegetarian Resource Group (www.vrg.org)
Total calories per serving (using pineapple): 170
Fat: <1 gram
Carbohydrates: 44 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Sodium: 4 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams
Note: Asian markets will offer a wide variety of canned fruit, including canned mangosteen, jackfruit, lychees, loquats, and sapodillas.
- Two 20-ounce cans tropical fruit, such as pineapple, packed in its own juice (for a granita texture) or in light syrup (for a sorbet texture)
- Wash and dry the cans.
- Freeze unopened cans for at least 12 hours or until solidly frozen. (Unopened cans may be stored in freezer until ready for use.)
- When ready, remove cans from freezer and open both ends over a cutting board, pushing the fruit out of the can with a wooden spoon.
- Coarsely chop fruit and place in blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Serve immediately, softly frozen, or pack in an airtight container and freeze for 2 hours, until frozen solid.
- Using a melon baller, scoop out sorbet and serve in a parfait glass or ice cream bowl.
- Garnish with slices of fresh fruit.