- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 jalapeno chile (including seeds), stemmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Tuna Cakes
- 1 12 oz can tuna in water, drained and flaked into a bowl
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (+ 1/3 cup more for coating)
- 1/4 cup black olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pulse avocado with mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, sugar, and one fourth of chile in a food processor until chile is finely chopped. Add milk and purée until smooth. Add more chile if desired, processing until smooth. Transfer sauce to a bowl and chill until ready to eat.
- Tuna Cakes:
- Stir together tuna, egg, chives, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, olives, red bell pepper, garlic and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs in a large bowl until blended well. If needed, add the other 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. You want enough bread crumbs to be able to make cakes that will hold together nicely.
- Form into four patties and dredge in the remaining 1/3 cup bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook tuna cakes until heated through and nicely browned. About 5-6 minutes per side over medium heat. You can also bake the tuna cakes in the oven on an oiled baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Just flip them over about halfway through cooking time.
- To serve, put a couple of tomato slices on a plate, two tuna cakes and then top with the chilled avocado sauce
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Italy or Bust
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce