Tuna and Olive Croquettes
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (7 ounce) can tuna in water
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive
1/4 cup minced parsley
2 tablespoons caper, minced (optional)
flour, for coating
2 egg, beaten
breadcrumbs, for coating
vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
2. Drain the tuna and measure the liquid. Add enough milk to equal 1/4 cup liquid. Whisk into flour mixture, cooking until thickened.
3. Season with salt and pepper and stir in tuna and olives. Refrigerate the mixture until cold.
4. Shape 1/4 cup of the mixture into a patty. Coat with flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
5. Fry in a little hot oil in a skillet, turning once or twice, until crisp and golden outside, a total of about 6 minutes per side.
** photo by boomette1 @ flickr.
Pairs Well With
"I found this recipe when I was researching an article on Spanish food for a food story when the Olympics were in Barcelonoa in 1992. Since then, I've made these so many times, in so many ways. They will accomodate about a zillion variations and still come out delicious. Prep time doesn't include chilling time. I usually prepare the creamed mixture the day or night before." ** photo by boomette1 @ flickr.