- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 20 pound turkey - if frozen thaw out in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 5 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Turkey roasting bag
- 1 Turkey stuffing bag
- Bread Stuffing:
- Giblets, cooked and diced
- 3 large or 5 medium onions, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 stalks celery, chopped (stalks and leaves)
- 2 loaves of Seven Grain Bread or other whole grain breads, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound butter
- In advance: One day prior to roasting the turkey, cube the bread and place in large stainless steel bowl..cover.
- Cook the giblets with 2 bay leaves and enough water to cover the giblets. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, then dice the giblets. Save the giblet water and place in the refrigerator.
- Turkey Day: In a large skillet melt the butter, then cook and stir onions, garlic and celery until onion and celery is soft.
- Season bread cubes. Add onion mixture to bread cubes and toss. Add a little giblet water to bread mixture.
- Wash turkey cavities thoroughly.
- Place turkey in large roasting pan, then place stuffing bag in turkey and add stuffing in the stuffing bag until full. Place remaining stuffing in neck cavity and a casserole.
- Place 3 garlic cloves under the skin of the turkey.
- Place turkey in roasting bag..follow directions on package.
- Add remaining vegetables in roasting bag - they can be used in the gravy including the carrots.
- Roast turkey, breast down in uncovered baking pan. See directions on package.
- After turkey is done, remove vegetables and let them cool. Remove stuffing bag and stuffing from neck cavity and place in a casserole.
- After vegetables are cooled, place them in a food processor and add a tablespoon of turkey drippings and set to puree. Add pureed vegetables to turkey drippings. To thicken gravy, make a paste of 3 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon cold water. Whisk in the flour mixture to gravy. Continue stirring until it boils. Then set aside.
- Debone turkey and place meat on a serving platter.
- To use vegetables in the gravy we learned from my brother Eric.
NotesSince Thansgiving Day is almost around the corner I thought I would share our recipe for roasted turkey.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More