- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound plum tomatoes (or 1 large can diced tomatoes if in hurry)
- 1 medium onion (or 1/4 bag of Pictsweet frozen onions)
- 1/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon basil (divided)
- 3/8 teaspoon pepper (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 turkey cutlets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes and the onion.
- Or skip step and cheat :)
- In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of the parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon of the basil, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and salt.
- In another shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- Dip the turkey cutlet in the beaten egg, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the cutlets and cook until browned on each sides - about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the turkey to a plate and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook till onions are translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining basil and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat.
- Return the turkey to the skillet and sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until cheese is melted.
NotesThis recipe is relatively simple to make and the best part is it only requires one pan. If you have worked all day and have only a few minutes to throw something together you will find that cheating is the best answer. I bought a large can of Hunts brand diced tomatoes and a bag of Pictsweet onions (found in the freezer section). You can't tell the difference between fresh and the cheat.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More