- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pounds turkey wings
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 head garlic, smashed
- 1/2 bunch fresh sage
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the turkey wings* into a small roasting pan and roast them until they are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, herbs, and peppercorns and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey wings. Pour some water into the roasting pan and scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom; add this to the pot. Cover everything in the pot with cold water by 1-inch and bring to the boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain out the solids and discard. Wipe out the pot and put it over medium heat. Melt the butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the flour. Cook this roux, stirring frequently, until it is golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in the strained stock being careful to work out any lumps. Cook until the gravy has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- *You also add the backbone and neck of the turkey you are grilling.
NotesI have been desperately seeking NEW Thanksgiving recipes because I am tired of looking into the glazed bored eyes of my family. I guess you CAN get tired of "family favorites".
I found this recipe on TYLER FLORENCES FOOD 911 show website. I think this is a keeper!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More