- Cooking Time: 25 min
- Servings: about 6
- Preparation Time: 5 min
BackstoryI found the original recipe, Whole-Wheat Chili Mac, on the Weight Watchers site, but adjusted slightly to what I had in my kitchen. The original had a more Mexican spin to it but I went with more Italian flavors. I would almost consider this a healthy adult version of Beef-a-roni (plus it tastes much better).
The ingerdients I list are what I used, not the original recipe.
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 - 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes (I used one with basil & garlic in it), undrained
- 3 c. canned tomato sauce
- salt, pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder - all to taste
- 1 c. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (I used an enriched white pasta..Smart Taste - I didn't have a whole wheat elbow in the house)
- 1 - 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- In a large pan sweat onions, add turkey - cook until meat is cooked through, drain off fat.
- Stir in undrained stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, & seasonings; bring to a boil
- Stir in uncooked pasta & kidney beans, return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer until macaroni is tender (app. 15 min)
- We topped with a little grated cheese at the end