- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI modified this recipe from a lamb stuffed zucchini recipe of Mario Batali's.
My toddler loves this!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground turkey, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup basic marinara sauce, I like Trader Joe's basic marinara in the green can but any jarred sauce will do
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Trim the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, remove the flesh making a canal down the center of each zucchini half, leaving 1/4-inch all around and the ends closed.
- Roughly chop the excess zucchini flesh and set aside.
- In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until just smoking.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the zucchini pieces and ground turkey and cook until the turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat from the turkey mixture and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, basil and the tomato sauce and mix well.
- Season both the mixture and the zucchini boats with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the turkey mixture into the zucchini boats and pile it high.
- Place in an oven-proof baking dish just large enough to hold all the zucchini and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Sometimes I mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together first, sometimes I don't - it doesn't really matter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp on top, and remove.
- I serve it with steamed rice.