- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground turkey, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup basic marinara sauce, I like Trader Joe's basic marinara in the green can but any jarred sauce will do
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Trim the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, remove the flesh making a canal down the center of each zucchini half, leaving 1/4-inch all around and the ends closed.
- Roughly chop the excess zucchini flesh and set aside.
- In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until just smoking.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the zucchini pieces and ground turkey and cook until the turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat from the turkey mixture and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, basil and the tomato sauce and mix well.
- Season both the mixture and the zucchini boats with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the turkey mixture into the zucchini boats and pile it high.
- Place in an oven-proof baking dish just large enough to hold all the zucchini and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Sometimes I mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together first, sometimes I don't - it doesn't really matter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp on top, and remove.
- I serve it with steamed rice.
NotesI modified this recipe from a lamb stuffed zucchini recipe of Mario Batali's.
My toddler loves this!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More